You may be noticing the pink ribbons, but has it motivated you to take action? Dr. Martin, your highly regarded Lynnwood dentist is fully supportive in advocating October as National Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
Empowering Men and Women
National Breast Cancer Awareness Month is all about the education and the steps needed to take charge of our own breast health, including detecting the disease in its early stages.
Early Detections Could Save your Life!
Self-exams, clinical breast exams, and mammograms all play roles in monitoring your health.
It’s important to perform monthly breast self-exams each month to detect any changes or abnormalities, and following up with these detections with your doctor or physician could honestly save your life. Can’t quite remember the technique? Click on this link to the National Breast Cancer Awareness website: http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/early-detection-of-breast-cancer
Reduce the Risk
What about reducing the risk factors that lead to cancer in the first place? Now that would be empowering!
While genetic factors may be involved, how lively and nontoxic your lifestyle is can also have a tremendous effect on your health.
Adopting healthy habits can feel and taste great too! Here’s a list of 10 Cancer-Fighting Foods:
- Berries (they’re packed with antioxidants, flavonoids, vitamins & minerals)
- Garlic (shown to inhibit cancer growth, great detoxifier & revs your immune system)
- Avocado (rich in antioxidant glutathione that attacks free radicals)
- Kale/Cabbage/Broccoli/Cauliflower (fiber-rich cancer preventers)
- Spinach (decreases effects of any ingested carcinogens)
- Quinoa/Millet/Amaranth/Buckwheat (great gluten-free combo of fiber, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and polyphenols)
- Shitake Mushrooms (suppresses conversion of testosterone into estrogen, boosts immune system, contains lentinan that slows tumor growth)
- Collards (detoxify, plus are anti-inflammatory)
- Tomatoes (antioxidant strong, high in vitamins, minerals)
- Turmeric spice (contains curcumin, a cancer prevention component)
Smile and Live Long
Your smile is always the focus of your Lynnwood dentist, but we’re equally determined to help you and our patients enjoy productive, long lives. Let National Breast Cancer Awareness Month motivate you to pursue a healthier lifestyle!
Do you have some great recipes that incorporate the Top Ten Cancer-Fighting Foods mentioned in this article? Please, SHARE with us!